- This event has passed.
2019 Summer Maritime Games – Gig Harbor
June 8, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm PDT$35
The 2019 Summer Maritime Games is a sanctioned by the United States Strengthlifting Federation. Competitors will be ranked and can qualify for the USSF Strengthlifting Championships in November.
Distinct from the sport of powerlifting, Strengthlifting is comprised of the Squat, the Press, and the Conventional Deadlift. Competition takes place between lifters in categories as defined by sex, bodyweight, and age. Each competitor is given three attempts for each lift, the summation of each valid attempt constituting a total. The lifter with the highest total in their category wins. The lifter with the highest number of points based on Wilks Formula is the best lifter. For a detailed ruleset: usstrengthlifting.com/rules
Where: Gig Harbor, WA
When: June 8th, 9am-3pm
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What gear is required? A non-supportive singlet, collarless t-shirt, pair of shoes, and knee high socks are required. For further information reference the costume section located here: usstrengthlifting.com/rules
- When do I weigh in? For the safety of our competitors and in the name of fairness of competition, the USSF does not conduct weigh-ins. Weigh outs will be performed immediately following a lifters final attempt on the platform.
- Are there commands? There are no commands. A lifter merely needs to demonstrate proper control and execution of the lifts as detailed in the rules linked above.
- Is there a bench press? Unlike the sport of powerlifting, the USSF recognizes the press (overhead) in place of the bench press.
- Can I perform the sumo variant of the deadlift? You are allowed to place your legs as wide as you wish, but in maintaining fairness of competition and assuring that all competitors perform the lift with similar mechanics, hands must remain outside of the legs while performing a deadlift.
- I’m a novice. Can I still compete? A novice athlete or person who has never competed before is welcome and will be supported.
- Do I need a membership to compete? Yes, all USSF athletes must purchase a membership to be eligible to compete in a sanctioned event. Memberships are valid for one full year and can be purchased here: https://usstrengthlifting.com/register/ussf-membership/
This event is organized and hosted by Gig Harbor Strength and Fitness.